1. 程式人生 > >New Concept English Two 17 43

New Concept English Two 17 43

a long front things 一個 然而 市場 con pick nor

$課文41 你把那個叫帽子嗎?

422. ‘Do you call that a hat?‘ I said to my wife.

“你把那個叫帽子嗎?”我對妻子說。

423. ‘You needn‘t be so rude about it,‘ my wife answered as she looked at herself in the mirror.

“你說話沒必要這樣不客氣,”我的妻子邊回答邊照著鏡子。

424. I sat down on one of those modern chairs with holes in it and waited.

我坐在一個新式的滿是網眼兒的椅子上,等待著。

425. We had been in the hat shop for half an hour and my wife was still in front of the mirror.

我們在這家帽店已經呆了半個小時了,而我的妻子仍在鏡子面前。

426. ‘We mustn‘t buy things we don‘t need,‘ I remarked suddenly. I regretted saying it almost at once.

“我們不應該買我們不需要的東西,”我突然發表意見說,但馬上又後悔說了這話。

427. ‘You needn‘t have said that,‘ my wife answered.

“你沒必要這麽說,”我妻子回答說,“

428. I needn‘t remind you of that terrible tie you bought yesterday.

我也不必提醒你昨天買的那條糟糕透了的領帶。”

429. ‘I find it beautiful,‘ I said. ‘A man can never have too many ties.‘

“我覺得它好看,”我說,“男人有多少領帶也不會嫌多。”

430. ‘And a woman can‘t have too many hats,‘ she answered.

“女人有多少帽子也不嫌多。”她回答。

431. Ten minutes later we walked out of the shop together.

10分鐘以後,我們一道走出了商店。

432. My wife was wearing a hat that looked like a lighthouse!

我妻子戴著一頂像燈塔一樣的帽子。

$課文42 並非很懂音樂

433. As we had had a long walk through one of the markets of old Delhi, we stopped at a square to have a rest.

當我們穿過舊德裏的市場時走了很長一段路,我們在一個廣場上停下來休息。

434. After a time, we noticed a snake charmer with two large baskets at the other side of the square, so we went to have a look at him.

過了一會兒,我們註意到廣場的那一邊有一個帶著兩個大筐的耍蛇人,於是就走過去看看。

435. As soon as he saw us, he picked up a long pipe which was covered with coins and opened one of the baskets.

他一見我們,就拿起了一個長長的上面鑲有硬幣的管樂器,並掀開了一個筐的蓋子。

436. When he began to play a tune, we had our first glimpse of the snake.

當他開始吹奏一支曲子時,我們才第一次看到那條蛇。

437. It rose out of the basket and began to follow the movements of the pipe.

它從筐裏探出身子,隨著樂器的擺動而扭動。

438. We were very much surprised when the snake charmer suddenly began to play jazz and modern pop songs.

當耍蛇人突然又吹奏起爵士樂和現代流行樂曲時,

439. The snake, however, continued to ‘dance‘ slowly.

我們感到非常驚奇。然而那蛇卻還是緩慢地“舞動”著。

440. It obviously could not tell the difference between Indian music and jazz!

顯然,它分辨不出印度音樂和爵士樂!

$課文43 飛越南極

441. In 1929, three years after his flight over the North Pole, the American explorer, R.E. Byrd,successfully flew over the South Pole for the first time.

美國探險家 R.E. 伯德在飛越北極3年之後,於1929年第一次飛越了南極。

442. Though, at first, Byrd and his men were able to take a great many photographs of the mountains that lay below,

雖然開始時伯德和他的助手們拍下了飛機下面連綿群山的大量照片,

443. they soon ran into serious trouble.

但他們很快就陷入了困境。

444. At one point, it seemed certain that their plane would crash.

在有個地方,飛機似乎肯定要墜毀了。

445. It could only get over the mountains if it rose to 10,000 feet.

只有在飛至10,000英尺的高度時,它才能飛過這些山頭。

446. Byrd at once ordered his men to throw out two heavy food sacks.

伯德馬上命令他的助手們把兩個沈重的食物袋扔掉,

447. The plane was then able to rise and it cleared the mountains by 400 feet.

於是飛機可以上升了,它在離山頭400英尺的高度飛越了過去。

448. Byrd now knew that he would be able to reach the South Pole which was 300 miles away,

伯德這時知道他能夠順利飛抵300英裏以外的南極了,

449. for there were no more mountains in sight.

因為前面再沒有山了。

450. The aircraft was able to fly over the endless white plains without difficulty.

飛機可以毫無困難地飛過這片茫茫無際的白色原野!

New Concept English Two 17 43