1. 程式人生 > >New Concept English Two 29 79

New Concept English Two 29 79

eas not show rri cover 城市 nts pen operation turn

$課文77 一例成功的手術

829. The mummy of an Egyptian woman who died in 800 B.C. has just had an operation.

死於公元前800年的一位埃及婦女的木乃伊剛剛接受了一次手術。

830. The mummy is that of Shepenmut who was once a singer in the Temple of Thebes.

這是曾在底比斯神殿裏當過歌手的賽潘姆特的木乃伊。

831. As there were strange marks on the X-ray plates taken of the mummy,

由於在給這個木乃伊拍攝的X光片子上有點奇怪的斑點,

832. doctors have been trying to find out whether the woman died of a rare disease.

所以,醫生們一直試圖搞清這位婦女是否死於一種罕見的疾病。

833. The only way to do this was to operate.

搞清的唯一辦法就是手術。

834. The operation, which lasted for over four hours, proved to be very difficult because of the hard resin which covered the skin.

手術持續了4個多小時,非常難做,因為皮膚上覆蓋著一層硬硬的樹脂。

835. The doctors removed a section of the mummy and sent it to a laboratory.

醫生們從木乃伊身上取下一個切片,送去化驗。

836. They also found something which the X-ray plates did not show: a small wax figure of the god Duamutef.

他們還發現了X光片所沒有顯示的東西:一個蠟制的杜瓦木特夫神小塑像。

837. This god which has the head of a cow was normally placed inside a mummy.

這種牛頭人身的神像通常被放在木乃伊體內。

838. The doctors have not yet decided how the woman died.

醫生們至今還未確定這位婦女的死因。

839. They feared that the mummy would fall to pieces when they cut it open, but fortunately this has not happened.

他們曾擔心在把木乃伊切開後,它會散成碎片,但幸運得很,這種情況並未發生。

840. The mummy successfully survived the operation.

這具木乃伊成功地經受了這次手術。

$課文78 最後一枝嗎?

841. After reading an article entitled ‘Cigarette Smoking and Your Health‘ I lit a cigarette to calm my nerves.

讀完一篇題為《吸煙與健康》的文章之後,我點上了一枝香煙,來鎮定一下自己緊張的神經。

842. I smoked with concentration and pleasure as I was sure that this would be my last cigarette.

我聚精會神而又愉快地吸著這枝煙。因為我確信這是我最後一枝煙了。

843. For a whole week I did not smoke at all and during this time, my wife suffered terribly.

整整一個星期我根本沒有吸煙。在此期間,我妻子吃盡了苦頭。

844. I had all the usual symptoms of someone giving up smoking: a bad temper and an enormous appetite.

我具備了戒煙者通常表現出來的所有癥狀:脾氣暴躁和食欲旺盛。

845. My friends kept on offering me cigarettes and cigars.

我的朋友們不斷地向我遞香煙和雪茄。

846. They made no effort to hide their amusement whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket.

每當我從口袋裏掏出一包糖果時,他們都毫不掩飾地表現出他們對此感到非常好笑。

847. After seven days of this I went to a party.

這樣過了7天以後,我去參加一次聚會。

848. Everybody around me was smoking and I felt extremely uncomfortable.

我周圍的每個人都在吸煙,我感到非常不自在。

849. When my old friend Brian urged me to accept a cigarette, it was more than I could bear.

當我的老朋友布賴恩極力勸我接受一枝香煙時,我再也忍不住了。

850. I took one guiltily, lit it and smoked with satisfaction.

我內疚地接過一枝點上,心滿意足地抽起來。

851. My wife was delighted that things had returned to normal once more.

一切又都恢復了正常,為此我妻子十分高興。

852. Anyway, as Brian pointed out, it is the easiest thing in the world to give up smoking.

不管怎麽說,正如布賴恩指出的那樣,戒煙是世界上最容易的事情,

853. He himself has done it lots of times!

他自己就已戒了很多次了!

$課文79 乘飛機

854. I used to travel by air a great deal when I was a boy.

我在幼年的時候,曾多次乘飛機旅行。

855. My parents used to live in South America and I used to fly there from Europe in the holidays.

我的父母曾經住在南美洲,所以假期裏我常從歐洲乘飛機到他們那裏。

856. A flight attendant would take charge of me and I never had an unpleasant experience.

我總是由一位空中乘務員照管,從未遇到過不愉快的經歷。

857. I am used to travelling by air and only on one occasion have I ever felt frightened.

我習慣了乘飛機旅行,只是有一次把我嚇壞了。

858. After taking off, we were flying low over the city and slowly gaining height,

起飛之後,我們在城市上空低低地飛行,然後慢慢爬高。

859. when the plane suddenly turned round and flew back to the airport.

這時飛機突然調轉頭來,飛回了機場。

860. While we were waiting to land,

在我們等待降落時,

861. a flight attendant told us to keep calm and to get off the plane quietly as soon as it had touched down.

一位空中乘務員告訴我們要保持鎮靜,待飛機一著陸,就馬上不聲不響地離開飛機。

862. Everybody on board was worried and we were curious to find out what had happened.

飛機上的人都很著急,大家都急於想知道究竟出了什麽事。

863. Later we learnt that there was a very important person on board.

後來我們才得知,飛機上坐了一位非常重要的人物。

864. The police had been told that a bomb had been planted on the plane.

有人報告警察,說飛機上安放了一枚炸彈。

865. After we had landed, the plane was searched thoroughly.

我們降落之後,飛機被徹底搜查了一遍。

866. Fortunately, nothing was found and five hours later we were able to take off again.

幸運的是,什麽也沒有找到。5個小時後,我們又起飛了。

New Concept English Two 29 79