1. 程式人生 > >TPO-23 C2 Advice on choosing courses

TPO-23 C2 Advice on choosing courses

回顧 nal build led style def 每年 have log

第 1 段

1.Listen to a conversation between a student and his English professor.

請聽一段學生與他的英文教授的對話。

第 2 段

1.Hi, Bob. How is it going? Are you enjoying the Introduction to Literature class?

嗨,鮑勃。怎麽樣?喜歡文學概況這個課程嗎?

第 3 段

1.Yeah, it‘s great. Araby, that short story by James Joyce we read last week, it was awesome.

是的,這堂課很棒。《阿拉伯》,上星期我們讀的詹姆斯喬愛思的短篇小說簡直是太棒了。

第 4 段

1.I‘m glad you like it.

我很高興你喜歡這本書。

2.Most of Joyce‘s work is very complex. A lot of students say that he is hard to understand.【1態度】

喬愛思的大部分作品都比較復雜。大部分學生都很難理解。

3.Normally, you wouldn‘t tackle Joyce in an Intro class, but I‘d like to give my first year students a taste of his style, his psychological approach to literature, because... mainly because it influenced other writers.

一幫情況下都不會在簡介課中介紹他的作品。但是我想讓大一的學生感受一下他的風格。主要是由於他的心理描述法影響了其他的作者。

4.I only wish we had more class time to discuss it.

我只希望我們有更多的課堂時間來對此進行討論。

第 5 段

1.Me too. So why did you pick Araby instead of some other story?【1選擇Araby的理由】

我也是,你為什麽要選擇《阿拉伯》而不是其他故事呢?

第 6 段

1.Well, um, first you should know that Araby is one of fifteen short stories by Joyce in a book called Dubliners.

首先你要知道,《阿拉伯》是喬愛思的短篇小說集《都柏林人》十五篇中的一篇。

2.Uh, all the stories are related to one another, and they are set in the same time period.

這些故事都有所聯系,他們都發生在同一時期。

3.But Araby is the easiest one to follow.【2解釋了原因】

《阿拉伯》是最容易理解的。

4.Though all the stories in the collection are written in stream of consciousness, which as you know, means they are told through the narrator‘s thought, (並列)through an inner monologue, as opposed to dialogue or an objective description of events.

這本合集中的故事都是用意識流的手法寫的。意識流就是通過描述者的思維,內心的獨白,而不是用對話或對事物的客觀的描述。

5.But Araby is easier because it‘s linear, the story unfold chronologically.【2強調了原因】

但是《阿拉伯》是線性描述法,故事情節按年代展開。

第 7 段

1.Still, I wish we could read whole novels by Joyce and discussed them in class.

但是我還是希望我們能夠完整的閱讀喬愛思的小說,並在課堂上討論。

第 8 段

1.That‘s what happens in my Master Writer Class.【2開始涉及Master Writer Class】

這是我的高級寫作課的內容。

第 9 段

1.Master Writer Class?

高級寫作課?

第 10 段

1.Yeah, I teach one on Joyce every spring.

是的,我每年的春季學期都會開一堂有關喬愛思的寫作課。

2.It‘s such a privilege, spending an entire term diving into a single body of work.

那真是一個好機會啊,用一整個學期來深入研究一個作者的作品。

3.And my students, they bring so much insight to the table that it‘s easy to forget who the professor is.

我的學生們有很多深入的見解,我們經常忘了誰才是教授。

第 11 段

1.Oh, wow. That could actually solve my dilemma, uh, what I originally wanted to ask you...【1 提出了問題】

哇哦。那確實能解決我的困境,哦,我開始想要問您什麽來著?

2.Um, I am working on my schedule for next term, and I‘ve got room for one more course, and I‘d like to take more literature.

我正在計劃我下個學期的課程,我還有上一門課的時間,而且我也想要更好的學習文學

3.Could I take your Master Writer Class on Joyce?

我能去上您的喬愛思高級寫作課嗎?

4.I‘m sorry. I should have mentioned.

不好意思,忘了告訴你

5.Uh, Master Writer is an advanced seminar.

高級寫作是高級研討會。

6.So students need to get a strong foundation in literary theory and criticism before I let them enroll.【2沒有同意】

所以學生必須要有好好的文學理論和文學評論基礎,我才能讓他參加這門課程。

第 12 段

1.But I have gotten really good grades on all my paper so far. I‘m sure I can keep up.【1學生堅信能搞定】

但是目前為止我所有的課程成績都很好,我想我能夠跟上。

2.Couldn‘t you make an exception?

您不能破例一次嗎?

第 13 段

1.Your grades are excellent.

你的成績很優秀。

2.But in our intro class, you are reviewing the basics, like plots, setting and character and getting your first real exposure to different literary styles.【2還是否定了】

但是在我們的入門課中,你們只是回顧最基本的知識,像是情節,背景和人物,還有首次接觸一種不同的文學類型。

第 14 段

1.But why do I have to study different styles to understand Joyce‘s novels?

但是為什麽要學習不同的文體才能理解喬愛思的小說呢?

第 15 段

1.There are a lot of little details involved in interpreting literature.

理解文學作品需要許多細節上的東西。

2.And like with Joyce. His novels have very unique structures.

就像是喬愛思,他的小說具有十分獨特的結構。

3.The only way to appreciate how unique they are is by studying a variety of authors.

你能欣賞這一點的唯一的呃方法就是學習不同作家的作品。

第 16 段

1.Oh, OK. So could you suggest a different literature class then? 【1 提問】

哦,好吧。那你能為我推薦一下其他的文學課程嗎?

第 17 段

1.Sure. There‘s doctor Clain‘s course on nineteenth-century novels.

當然可以了。比如說克萊恩博士的關於19 世紀小說的課程。

2.It‘s more focused than the class you‘re in now.

比你現在上的課更加集中。

3.But it will build on your current knowledge base and give you the background you need.【2能給予背景知識需要】

但是它會建立你現在的知識基礎並且給你提供知識背景

4.That, plus a couple more foundational classes, and you will definitely be ready for my seminar.

再加上一些基礎課程,你就一定能夠參加我的研討會了。

第 18 段

1.Sweet. Thanks.

太好了,謝謝您。

TPO-23 C2 Advice on choosing courses